Sunday, October 9, 2011

Dollar Tree Witch Revamp

Turning Tacky into Terrific!
As I was browsing through my local dollar store this week, I passed by these terribly tacky witches a couple of times.   They were ugly, just ugly, and very cheap looking.  They looked like they belonged in the dollarstore.  However, I had a brilliant idea for a witch, and here I was, staring at one, albeit a tacky one.  So, I snatched one up, brought her home, and got to work.
Photobucket
I dove through my scraps bin to find some leftover fabric from the banner I made for Halloween last year. I also grabbed my glue gun, Spanish Moss, and some Halloween trinkets.
Photobucket
I decided that the best way to remake "Hilda" would be from the top down.  So I glued a band of burlap to her hat and then a ghost and bat trinket to the band.  Already, she looks just a little better.
Photobucket
Her hair was no good. So, I chopped it off and gave her implants!  I thought Spanish Moss would look perfect as witch hair.
Photobucket
Then, I ripped off Hilda's cape and began remaking her outift.
Photobucket
I ironed HeatNBond hem tape to a couple strips of fabric so that I wouldn't have to actually use my sewing machine.
Photobucket

Photobucket

For her new skirt, I glued the pleats in place.
Photobucket

Then, I proceeded to glue these on as cuffs to Hilda's leggings. 
Photobucket
Then I added bat buckles to her shoes.
Photobucket
I glued the black polka dot fabric on as her shirt and added a strip of orange burlap for Hilda's belt.
Photobucket
Now, all she needs is a new cape.
Photobucket
I glued ribbon to the top of a piece of burlap and tied it around her neck.
Photobucket
Hilda's transformation is almost complete.  I just needed to fix this awful cat at the end of her broom. 
Photobucket
It was made out of felt and it was wrinkled.  A felt cat just wasn't substantial enough. 
Photobucket
So, I took a plastic bat, and glued that to the end of the broom in its place/
And, ta da!  Hilda is transformed. 
Photobucket
I am thrilled with the way Hilda looks now.  I really don't think she has the "dollar store" vibe anymore.  And, I only spent $1 because I already had everything but her! To make Hilda from scratch would have cost me more than $1 for the styrofoam alone. 
I have plans for Hilda which I will be unveiling in a couple of days, so make sure to check back in!
I'm linking up HERE this week!

2 comments:

Tutus & Tea Parties said...

Oh my goodness, she looks so cute now! I love how you totally transformed it. I'll have to look around my dollar store now that I can make things cuter!

Thanks for linking up at tutusandteaparties.blogspot.com

Judy @ In His Grip said...

You did a great make over. She looks so much better. Thanks for stopping by "In His Grip" :o)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...