Friday, January 20, 2012

Finish It Friday: Clay Pot Nativity

I finally finished this nativity the week before Christmas.  Its a project that has been waiting for me to complete for over a year.    I purchased the supplies in the fall of 2010 for my Relief Society's Fabulous Friday.   This was the sample below.  I didn't make it, but the owner didn't want to teach a class. So, I was in charge.   I ended up buying a bunch of clay pots and the wooden ball for the heads when they were on sale.  Fewer women signed-up than I expected, so I was stuck with a bunch of pots and balls.  And, since I was in charge, I was too busy to work on my own version.

The supplies have been sitting in a box in my craft room closet since that night in the fall of 2010.  This Christmas I decided I would make my own.  And, I did!  I finished it 4 days before Christmas, just in time.  These are super easy to make.  I simply painted the clay pots colors to coordinate with the fabric I had on hand for the head pieces.  Then, I painted the wooden balls skin color.  I used hot glue to attach the balls to the clay pots. I glued on fabric for the head pieces.  I added a little jute rope for a headband for Joseph and a bow for Mary.  I used pieces of rafia for the hay in the manger.  The baby Jesus is formed from a wad of white muslin with a wooden ball glued on for the head. 

I love my newest nativity.  It is definitely a little more colorful than the original, but that suits me.  I love color and this looks darling on my shelves with the rest of my nativities.

1 comment:

Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva said...

Ok... that is super cute! LOL! Finally a nativity craft that wouldn't kill me if 'someone' dropped one piece.
~Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...