Friday, April 8, 2011

Friday Fashions #12, Knotted Paisley Tee

This week for Friday Fashions, I made this blue paisley shirt with a knot at the bust line. 

 It add a little interest to what could otherwise have been a very boring shirt.  I have had this fabric for ages, it was passed along to me from my mom (I think).  I haven't really known what I was going to do with it.  The paisley pattern is too busy for me to make an embellished tee, but I didn't just want to make a plain shirt either.  In my stack of patterns, I came across a tshirt pattern that had this knot variation on it, and I decided to give it a try.

 The front is made up of 2 of these pieces. With right sides together, sew along A.  Then on the right-side panel, sew the dotted lines together at B, leaving a small opening (C).  This will form a hole that you will pull the left-side panel through, creating a knot. D becomes the plunging V-neckline.
This is what the front looks like after that! 
 After that, I began working on the sleeves.  I love using a flat panel construction for sleeves when I am working with knits.  It makes them easier and faster.  This method doesn't work as well with more tailored pieces or stiff fabrics.  So for those, stick with the traditional set-in sleeves.  But, if you are going to work with knits, try the flat panel method next time.  You will love it.
 First, you sew the shoulders together. 
 Then, carefully pin the tops of the sleeves to the shoulders. Sew. 
 This is what the shirt now looks like. Wasn't that easy?
 Next, with right-sides together, sew the side seams of the shirt from the edges of the sleeves all the way to the bottom of the shirt.  
 Make sure that you carefully line up the seams along the sleeves and the shirt. 
That way, when its right side out, it looks like this, and the corners line up. 
When you are done, turn the shirt out.  You have now set in the sleeves and sewn the side seams!  This method is so fast!  You now just have to hem the sleeves and the bottom of the shirt, and you are completely finished with the shirt.  From cutting out the fabric to the sewing, this shirt only took me 1 1/2 hours from start to finish.  Not bad! 

I love this shirt and will probably wear it tonight on my date with Mr. Right.  I think that this shirt pattern could easily be lengthened to make a comfy, casual dress.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

Love it!

Jen said...

Darling!

Anonymous said...

Cute shirt!! I might have to try that tutorial...looks like a bit of a challenge! The paisley fabric totally grabbed my attention too!
You've got a ton of awesome stuff here....I'm now following you!
p.s.-thanks for dropping by my blog!

Whitney said...

Tell me about your pattern? Brand, number, etc. ? Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...